Thursday, May 10, 2012

Do You Know What Jesus Said About Homosexuality? I Do.


I can usually see both sides of an argument and rarely feel strongly attached to either enough to get into the fray. Until now. The recent controversy over whether or not gay couples should have the right to marry has me compelled to speak up for what I think is right.

I've spent many hours over the past twenty or so years studying the Bible on my own and in the classroom. It began in my late teens out of curiosity, skepticism, and a need to believe in something bigger than myself. Now I study it because it has become a refuge and source of guidance for me. I'm no authority and don't follow it to the letter, but in the marked up, dog-eared pages of my Bible I believe there is Truth. So, when I hear people twisting my religion to justify their bigotry, I take notice.

The Jesus I have studied never said ONE WORD about homosexuality. I find this interesting. I believe it was simply a non-issue to Him. As I wish it was for us.  He did say a great deal about loving thy neighbor, reaching out to those in need, and leaving the judgement up to God.  One of the few times he showed anger was when he observed people hiding behind rules and law to justify their lack of compassion and mercy for others. I also find that interesting.

The Bible does indeed have something to say about homosexuality.  Before Jesus' arrival, in the Old Testament, right along with passages about animal sacrifice. If you are going to base your denial of civil rights to fellow citizens on the book of Leviticus, then you need to take a very close look at what you eat, how you dress, and your own sexual behavior because I'm pretty sure you are breaking some dictates that are very clear about those very things. "Take the plank out of your own eye before you point out the dust in another's." "Judge not lest ye be judged."  Those words are part of the Bible, too.  Are they less important than the words that happen to back up your personal discomfort with homosexuals?

Some argue that homosexuality is a sin. Let's humor that for a second. So, by that logic, it's okay to pass judgement on and deny equal rights to those who sin differently than you? Really. Think about that.  Denying equal civil rights goes against everything we are as a country.  Have we learned nothing from history?  Don't the bigots in the 1960's that were so upset about blacks having the right to vote seem ridiculously backward, childishly fearful to us now?

All the above shouldn't matter, thanks to our founding fathers and the First Amendment.  I love my church and am a follower of Jesus' teachings, but also I have a great appreciation for the separation of church and state.

I'll leave you with the recent words of Clint Eastwood.  'Cause he's the kind of guy I'd like to have my back when the bigoted bullies show up....


"These people who are making a big deal out of gay marriange? I don't give a f*** about who wants to get married to anybody else. Why not?!  We're making a big deal out of things we shouldn't be making a deal out of. They go on and on with all this bullshit about 'sanctity' - don't give me that sanctity crap. Just give everybody the chance to have the life they want."



2 comments:

  1. Thank you to those of you who have responded to this post on facebook. I feel the need to clarify on my comment "bigoted bullies." I am referring to the Westboro Baptist types that carry signs that say "God hates fags." I am not talking about people who are uncomfortable with gay marriage for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margot, I love your post. Last summer my pastor did a sermon after the whole "chicfila thing" and he said that he didn't know if people were born gay or if it was a choice. He did say he knew that we were ALL born sinners and no sin is bigger then another and that known of us have a right to jugde one another. I feel like that is the bottom line and to me it's so sad that everyone is making such a big deal about it. I do feel we should all have the same rights no matter what and the fact that we as Christians and we oftern get grouped into these antigay/hate groups drives me crazy. Thanks for sharing and just for the record this is the first time in my life I have commented on a blog thats how much your blog meant to me. Have a wonderful Easter and keep writing! Susan Arnold Niber

    ReplyDelete